Anavatos is a Medieval - Byzantine tower-village in the central region of Chios. It is quite impressive as it plunges into a large granite rock at the top of the cliff. Although it is a deserted village, it still preserves its history, a sensation often encountered by visitors when wondering through its stone-paved streets.
It is a historic site, as it played an important role in the Greek War of Independence (1821) and the Massacre of 1822.
The Church of the Taxiarchis (the Archangel) is well preserved and stands out amidst this living ghost-town.
Not far from the wall's only gate, there is an overbearing structure which protrudes amongst the buildings along the east side. It is the so called "Three-storey" building, consisting of an olive oil press, school and water reservoir and the Church of the Theotokos (the Virgin Mary).